We reconvened at Brands Hatch for the next round of the Sports and GT Cup on the fantastic Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit. A 90 minute blast was in prospect where neither driver could drive for more than 40 minutes in a single stint with the car owner starting the race.

The weather was looking poor with a steady drizzle suggesting a wet qualifying and race. This was good news for us as we have not much power in Simon and Kate Orebi Gann's beautiful Morgan SLR. However, with a nimble and well balanced chassis and a liking for wet conditions, both Simon and I were calmly optimistic of a good run.

As predicted, qualifying started damp with a light drizzle. I went first to put in a banker and after 3 or 4 laps had set a time good for P1 in class and P2 overall!! I did not feel this would last.

With Simon on track completing his qualifying laps the team were watching the times carefully to see if anyone started to improve. Just as we saw this happening Simon pitted and I climbed back into the car for a last go. We were still in P2 overall but now the next car was mere tenths of a second away. I had two laps to improve and with a slowlydrying track managed to find just over a second to secure P2 overall and P1 in class by a great margin.

We were praying for the damp conditions to prevail. However, it dried out and we feared we would be out dragged by cars with more power. Simon started the race and drove a blinder, keeping place over the first laps with excellent lap times and some considerable pressure from cars behind. At about 35 minutes Simon was called in and I set off after our untimed pit stop. All went well and I pushed as hard as I could while keeping on the black stuff.

At first my board showed P5 +42 seconds and I thought there was probably a bit much work to do. However we had several cars in front which had not yet stopped so things began to look up. 

Then came P1 and an amazing -41 seconds and I thought we were in for a chance of an excellent result. The in board came with P1 and - 77 secs and I dived into the pits to hand over to Simon for the final 20 minute stint. All went well and Simon drove a superb final part of the race to bring us home P1 in class and P2 overall!! This was ahead of expectation and crowned an excellent day of top team work from all involved.

Next stop the Goodwood Revival where I will be in (on?) Sean and Laura Danaher's fantastic Maserati 6CM Grand Prix car. Can't wait!